Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Call yourself a novelist?

Well folks, I've done it, I've finished NaNoWriMo this year. And what a bloody slog it was too! 50,000 words of a first draft, completed in just under a month. A lot of it will probably (definitely!) need a lot of work doing to it, but the bare bones of the story are out, and it feels pretty good actually. I think there's definitely something to be said for doing the first draft as quickly as possible (although a month is a little crazy). I'm going to leave the story to stew for a few weeks, and then pick it up again in the new year for some serious editing.

Seems to have been a day for finishing things, yesterday, cause as well as the novel, I've also finished reading Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. An unusual tale bordering on science fiction (but if you'd told me that I'd never have bought it), a truly brilliant story about identity and relationships. Very readable, but thought-provoking nonetheless. A definite thumbs up from me. Incidentally, Ishiguro's book features here in the Times' round up of the best novels of 2005, describing it as 'this year’s most remarkable novel'. There's an interesting insight into his life here.

4 Comments:

At 3:36 pm, Anonymous elsie said...

Hurrah! Well done!!!

 
At 9:35 pm, Anonymous random-person said...

yes, well done

 
At 12:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah well done.. new baby and a novel, well done!

cacoa

 
At 11:27 pm, Blogger peter said...

Michelle, I don't know if you can be proud of someone you don't know, but I am proud of you.....a fantastic achievment, well done. It doesn't matter if it's any good (and I am sure it is) the whole point of the thing is to inspire yourself, to just get it done, and you have done it....again, well bloody done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home