Monday, May 16, 2005

On Writing

I am just over halfway through reading Stephen King's "On Writing", which is half autobiography, half tools and tips for budding writers. I've only read one of his books, but have had this book recommended to me a few times by various people / writers. And he does speak a lot of sense. Having always been from the "plot in advance" school of writing, and having not had much success with it, I tried one of the exercises King recommends, which is essentially situation-driven, rather than plot-driven. And it's MUCH easier / more motivating / the writing just comes more naturally.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 pm, Blogger Keris said...

Ooh, that's handy. I'm having my WIP edited at the moment and have just had an e-mail pointing out that there's not much of a plot. :op

I've got the book, but I don't remember that bit, I'll have to hunt it out.

Have you read Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird? It's amazing.

 
At 6:34 am, Blogger michelle said...

Are you hoping to get your novel published as a book then?

No I haven't read Bird by Bird, but again I've heard great things about it, so might be one for the future!

Can't wait for after Saturday, as I finish work then, and I'll be able to get cracking with some writing! (or massive procrastination!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home