Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Bookfest

This seems to be doing the rounds, so thought I'd have a go...

1) You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451; which book do you want to be?
Hmm not sure I understand this question. Haven't read Farenheit 451... will go along with Pete's own question of which book would you memorise if stuck on a desert island. I think I'd try to memorise The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath. While a tad depressing, I love the way it's written. Very angsty. Very sad.

2) Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
I suppose a lot of people might choose Holden Caulfield, but I'm not sure I had a crush on him really. Might have to choose Rob from High Fidelity, the list-making, music-obsessed weirdo ;o)

3) What are you currently reading?
Currently about halfway through The Shadow of the Wind. Quite enjoying it so far, although I know what Pete meas about it being written in a rather 'stately' tone. It kind of reminds me of books I used to enjoy when I was younger, has the same sort of tone as an Enid Blyton book (not the mumsy tales of tea and cakes, but the 'proper' writing style, the suspenseful writing). Definitely a winner so far.

4) The last book you bought was:
Well, I have been trying to make use of the library more, so haven't bought any novels for quite a while (desperately trying to resist those 3 for 2 offers which seem to be my downfall). I think the last batch of books I bought from Amazon included the Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth (rather amusing while being fairly informative) and From Here to Maternity, a funny look at pregnancy.

5) The last book you finished is?
The last book I actually finished was Starter For Ten (a good fun, light-hearted read). However, due to the brain-drain that is pregnancy, in between now and then, I have started a large number of books without finishing them, including: The Count of Monte Cristo, Mystic River, The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Want To Play?, and The Plot Against America. Oh dear.

6) Five books you would take to a desert island?
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'd like to take the Complete Works of Shakespeare. Ever since reading Romeo and Juliet at school, I fell in love with the language and the symbolism, and vowed that as an adult I'd try to read more. However, it's just one of those things that I haven't quite got round to doing yet (but I finish work in less that 6 weeks' time, so who knows).

Next on the list would have to be A Capote Reader, as this is my favourite book by my favourite writer. It's a collection of short stories, literary sketches of famous people and novellas (including Breakfast at Tiffany's). I love the way he writes, and this book is rather dog-eared, as all favourite books should be.

Thirdly, I'd choose A Suitable Boy. At around 1400 pages, it's not exactly something you could read in an afternoon, but having read it once, I just got lost in the millions of characters and fantastic history of the story. Despite its' size, I was actually quite sad when it ended, which is truly the sign of a good book.

The next choice is something much shorter, Of Mice and Men. I read this while I was at school, and I cried at the end (the only time I've ever cried at a book). A couple of years ago I saw a stage production and it was fantastic. I really should read more Steinbeck (although I have read The Grapes of Wrath).

It's hard to only choose five books, but the last one would have to be The Bonfire of The Vanities, simply because I've had it for years and haven't got round t reading it yet.

7) Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
Billy, because while I'm not sure he's a big reader, I think he loves these 'meme' things (;op)
Random Person, because he loves books, and is supposed to be revising, which is the perfect time to spend hours on a blog entry
H, because I think she loves 'memes' as well, and I'd be interested in her answers.

Phew, I think I need a lie-down after all that.

4 Comments:

At 2:42 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Cheers for your comment - just read your answers, and very interesting they are too!

Personally I didn't think 'The Bonfire Of The Vanities' was that great, probably partly because I really rate Bret Easton Ellis and his social commentary is harsher and more brutal while still being stylish.

I was thinking of choosing The Complete Works too...

 
At 9:26 pm, Blogger billy said...

...heheheheh, billy loves memes so much that he's already done this :^)...but I can recommend bonfire :^)...and there was a time when I was a big reader, it's just something that seems to have slipped off my plate recently :^(...

...oh, if it helps - I fancied rob from high fidelity too, especially when played by john cusack...one of those moments I sorta toyed with being gay :^)...

 
At 8:02 am, Blogger michelle said...

I've not actually ever seen the film, so my 'crush' on Rob is purely litarary hehe. It might spoil the moment if I saw the film version.

 
At 2:49 pm, Anonymous H said...

I am a rubbish reader, I haven't finished a book other than chick lits, mills and boon or black lace for a long long time. It is shameful and embarrassing and something that I should change. But I probably won't do this meme because of my ignorance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home