Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Doorstopper

As another new-year's-resolution-type-thing, I went to my local library today. Why didn't I do this before?? I have been spending tons on Amazon, totally forgetting that there are huge buildings full of free books to be had! So after I finish reading Starter For Ten (which I am enjoying a lot, anice light read), I will be starting The Count of Monte Cristo (a whopping 1300 pages!), and if I ever get to the end of that, A Handful of Dust.

Blog-reading takes off in America.

Prescott says he will provide affordable housing for £60k... but right at the bottom of the article, it says:
Already surplus land owned by the NHS, mainly old
hospital sites
, is being transferred to the government's national regeneration agency, English Partnerships, as a first step in the Prescott initiative.


Aah, so they have closed all the hospitals, so they can build token 'affordable' houses on the land (hmm an attempt to buy some voters in the run-up to the Gerenal Election methinks). Nice.

Today's Albanian word is me hup: to lose

6 Comments:

At 7:13 pm, Blogger Pewari Naan said...

LOL... the sooner they make online book rental the better, imo. I know it wouldn't be free, but I *never* seem to get to the library and when I do it's a quick rush in and out to get the kids' books.

I need one similar to a DVD rental scheme - £9.99 per month for as much as you can read...

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger michelle said...

hmm £9.99 is a bit steep methinks, altho I suppose it depends on how much you read a month. I haven;t been to a library in years, but the lure of free books was too much!

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger bonecat caliente said...

i dig your very informative blogness, indeed lots of good information and methinks that many more people should perhaps read a lot more good literature instead of letting their brains turn to mush worrying over "corrie" or whatever other rubbish is on the box. Indeed a tenner is expensive to borrow books online, i think people should in fact go to the library is they are avid readers, as i also believe that laziness is becoming standard!!!

How do we pronounce today's albanian word???

Peace

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Quink said...

Brilliant choices. A Handful of Dust is one of the finest books ever. As as for the Count of Monte Cristo.... I'm off to do a bit of reading.

 
At 3:23 pm, Blogger michelle said...

To the jazz trumpeter blokie - sorry, had to delete the Albanian word me humb, which is in fact how they say 'to lose' in Albania, but not in Kosova. Aah the complexity. Glad you are enjoying the blog. Keep reading!

 
At 12:40 am, Blogger bonecat caliente said...

Jazz trumpeter??

NOOOOOO. i Play trombone, but i will forgive you for the mistake.....

=O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home