Sunday, March 07, 2004

Have finally finished The Quincunx - a mammoth read at 1200 pages, but every page was gripping. There is plenty of action in this book; basically it's written in the style of a Victorian novel (a la Dickens)... it's the story of a young boy who is the heir to an estate which has been left to him in a will, but the will is in the hands of his enemies, and the book is the unravelling of his family history and that of his enemies, and his attempts to get the will back. I am surprised I had never heard of it before I saw it in a second-hand bookshop, nor has anyone I know heard of it - more people should read it, it's a really good story.

Next on the reading list is The Meaning of Things by A.C. Grayling (who, incidentally, I had a few lectures by when I did my brief stint on a philosophy degree at Birkbeck College). My mum is planning to read the book at the same time, so I fear more heated debates by phone are on the cards....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home